Juniata men’s and women’s tennis post wins over Stevenson by 8-1 scores
HUNTINGDON, Pa. – Juniata College men's and women's tennis made a clean sweep of visiting Stevenson University on Friday, with each squad posting an 8-1 win over the Mustangs on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
In the men's match, Juniata (6-7) took all three doubles matches, with the duo of Elliott Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) and Tucker Good (Gettysburg, Pa./Gettysburg) taking Stevenson's Ted Cooke and Shawn Kelley into a tiebreaker before posting a 9-8 (7-5) victory.
Cooke posted the lone Stevenson (3-2) win in singles play at no. 1 singles, with Juniata taking no. 2 through 6 singles. Max Weiss (Pittsburgh, Pa./Fox Chapel Area) dropped the first set of his no/ 6 singles match against Eric Belton, and saved three match points in the second set on his way to a 7-6 win, before sealing the victory with a 13-11 win in the supertiebreaker.
The Juniata women's team also took all three doubles matches, winning handily at each flight.
In singles play, Stevenson's Steph Eyler won at no. 2 singles over Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) in three sets, but Juniata (5-5) won the remaining five singles matches in two sets. In her first match of the spring, Lisa Hauptmann (Lorsch, Germany/Alfred-Delp-Schule) notched a 6-2, 6-3 win over the Mustangs' Susannah Hoblitzell. Cara Stough (Friendsville, Md./Northern Garrett) blanked Stevenson's Katie Fersch by a pair of 6-0 scores at no. 5 singles.
Juniata returns to the courts on Sunday, April 1, when it faces the University of Scranton at 12:00 p.m.
Juniata 8, Stevenson 1
1. Ted Cooke (SU) def. Justin Wisniewski, 6-1, 6-2
2. Elliott Perow (JUN) def. James Bishoff, 7-6, 6-3
3. Brice Morey (JUN) def. Shawn Kelley, 6-0, 6-3
4. Tucker Good (JUN) def. Nick Dunlap, 6-3, 6-0
5. Matt Butler (JUN) def. Matt Hartley, 6-1, 6-1
6. Max Weiss (JUN) def. Eric Belton, 6-7, 7-6, 13-11
1. Perow/Good (JUN) def. Cooke/Kelley, 9-8 (7-5)
2. Wisniewski/Morey (JUN) def. Bishoff/Dunlap, 8-3
3. Butler/Andrew Hoffman (JUN) def. Belton/Anthony Carle, 8-5
Juniata 8, Stevenson 1
1. Lisa Hauptmann (JUN) def. Susannah Hoblitzell, 6-2, 6-3
2. Steph Eyler (SU) def. Megan Phillips, 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
3. Heather Waring (JUN) def. Jordan Rypard, 6-2, 6-1
4. Stacie Beegle (JUN) def. Svetlana Widell, 6-1, 6-3
5. Cara Stough (JUN) def. Katie Fersch, 6-0, 6-0
6. Hilary Walsh (JUN) def. Michelle Huber, 6-0, 6-2
1. Phillips/Waring (JUN) def. Hoblitzell/Eyler, 8-6
2. Beegle/Walsh (JUN) def. Rupard/Widell, 8-3
3. Hauptmann/Stough (JUN) def. Megan Heagy/Nicole Young, 8-1